Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Foodie Friday - Shepherd's Pie


To finish off the week, I thought I would try a Foodie Friday post. This event is hosted by Gollum at http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com. Now, please be gentle, I'm a mediocre cook at best and my photo skills are poor, but I am learning a lot from you ladies every day. I have never been a fan of Shepherd's Pie, so I thought I would look for a new recipe. I found this on the internet, and it was a hit with me AND my kids, so I can't ask for more than that.

To begin, you need a pound (or so, I think I used about a pound and a half) of hamburger, 1/2 Pkg Onion Soup mix (or some actual onions, but I am lazy), 1/2 C beef broth, 1/2 C heavy cream, 1 T Worcestershire sauce, 1 T flour, 1 C of frozen peas, a bag of shredded potatoes (found mine in the dairy case with the eggs), a bag of cheddar cheese. 1/4 C Mayo, some paprika and chives if you got 'em. Preheat your oven to 350.

Brown the hamburger and add the onion, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Once cooked, add the flour to thicken slightly, continue to cook over med heat.

Add the cream:
It's hard to take a photo with your right hand while pouring with your left, so I am proud of this:

The cream will make a nice gravy and everything will thicken up really well so there will be no runny meat juice (blech!) Turn off the heat, and spread the mixture in the bottom of a baking pan. Toss the peas on top of the meat. In a bowl, combine the potatoes with about half the cheese, the mayo and chives. Stir and spread over the peas. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese, then the paprika, and bake for 45 minutes (or if you used a large pan like mine, only bake for 30-35 min or it will dry out).

Take it out and let it "set" for about 10 minutes.

When it's done it looks like a big cheesy hashbrown. Yummy! But here is my downfall, if I were a good cook, there would be side dishes or a nice salad. I just figure since there are peas in it already I can get by.

Lastly, the final step:

Enjoy, and have a great weekend!

21 comments:

Rattlebridge Farm said...

This is my favorite comfort food!! I'm so glad you posted this. I love how you show the ingredients and the step-by-step, too. It looks so delicious!!

Blondie's Journal said...

Tracy,

This looks really delishious! I usually don't like shepherd's pie because of the lamb, but this is definately a great make~over!

Your photography skills are wonderful (and I am not talking about the one~handed picture!).

Can I come over for dessert?

xoxo
Janie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Tracy, this looks positively wonderful! You did a great job tweaking, and I would love a large helping along with that container of ice cream. Notice I said CONTAINER! ;-)

Happy FF!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Lady Katherine said...

I love the pan you baked the shepherd's pie in. It looks great and the ice cream so yummy! Love the steps you showed.

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Tracey, Your shepherds pie looks yummy. You did a great job with your post.

santamaker said...

Looks great and it's one I've never tried. Thanks!

ellen b. said...

Now this says "comfort" to me. Yum. Thanks for sharing...

xinex said...

I love the finale!...Christine

Anonymous said...

I hear you girl. This is how I live my life...simple. Shepherd's pie is great in all forms. The type my mother made has a tomato base but this looks scrumptious and the end to the meal looks wonderful, too.

Suzie said...

Great posting!
Thank you for sharing, Tracy!
Suzie

Kat said...

I love shepherd's pie and this looks wonderful. And hey, no worries about the side dishes, I'm pretty sure this recipe covers the major food groups lol. And your dessert offering looks delicious! Great post, Kathy

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Ok, you have struck a good nerve with me. In college our sorority house dining room served shepherd's pie once a week and we LOVED it! I will enjoy having this recipe - it's comfort AND memory food! Looks delish! Linda

Chandy said...

Tracy, I like how you think with that Dove at the end! Genius! That shepherd's pie look so delicious!!!

Have a great weekend to you, too!

Carolyn of What Now? Tablescapes

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Foodie Friday Tracy! I haven't made this in a long time...but yous looks yummy...so I may try to make it this weekend!

Susan

Anonymous said...

never been a big fan of shepherd's pie?!?!?!?!?!?!

ridiculous.

also, I want to come home so I can have some leftovers. =)

I love you!

Anonymous said...

HI Tracy! Oh, this looks and sounds wonderful. I'm going to have to try this. By the way, I think you've done an excellent job on taking your pictures! Woo Hoo!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kim said...

That sure does look yummy Tracy - I may have to give it a try!
Btw, I'm only 15 miles from Philadelphia. Are you close to Philly?
Kim

Nicole ~ said...

This looks so good, I think I am going to make this next week. Thanks for the recipe.

Have a great weekend.

Nicole~

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

I'm impressed with the pour and shoot picture! Everything looks delicious and your dishes are beautiful!

Judi said...

Hi Tracy
Your shepherd's pie looks soooo yummy. What a great idea to look for something a bit different. It looks sooo good and I love the dish its in...I will remember to try that one.
thank you for sharing.
Judi

Maggie Lamarre said...

Luv that recipe at this rate of going to make all these recipes I'll be as big as house from the yumminess.

http://cuttlebugchallenge.blogspot.com/2010/02/wanna-get-away-to-this-fantastic.html

maggie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...