Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Blue Transferware Foyer

Thank you for your kind comments about my little house-in-progress. I am so excited about it and I'm so happy to have a blog so I can document what is going on and share my excitement with other people who love their homes too.

Today my front door and my stairs were installed, and there appeared to be framing going on in the interior, so things are moving along great.

I have so many things to think about, and I appreciate all your opinions and great ideas. Last week I posted a few islands I had been considering for the kitchen, and Kelly at rosevinecottagetwo.blogspot.com brought up the fabulous idea of looking for an antique dresser to use. I'm definitely going to try and find something that will work, and I never would have thought of that on my own!


Here is another idea that I've been thinking about. I have a small set of blue willow and I recently found a few plates from the Spode Blue Room collection at Ross. I have had a blue kitchen theme for 24 years, so I don't want to use them in there. I'm thinking of doing a wall display in my foyer. Now, I don't have nearly as much blue china as in the picture above (though my mom actually does) so I am thinking more of a wall display over a server-style piece of furniture. I'd like to paint the walls a sunny yellow.


I'm hoping it will work against the wall to the right. Doesn't it seem like there is too much room NOT to put something there? Now, this is not my foyer, it's the model but it's exactly the size and layout I will have. (Just picture it without the crown and chair rail molding, window that looks into the garage, wood floors, and wood banisters.) I don't want to block the traffic flow, but I'd like to put something there and I'm not a fan of console tables, I'd prefer something with a little storage so it's multifunctional. So what do you think, bruised hips and broken china from bumping the cabinet or just bad feng shui?

4 comments:

Nicole ~ said...

I think a small display would look great there. I agree, I do think it is a large enough space to hold a piece of furniture. I really do not think it would block the flow at all. I am so excited for you!!

Gypsy aka Tam said...

Hi Tracy,
I also agree that the space may be a little crowded. Is there a way for you hang the plates on the wall and create an arrangement that way?
When you get a chance please stop by my blog and pick up your award. Congratulations!
Have a wonderful Friday,
Tam

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Yup something's gotta go there. I don't think a small piece would interrupt the flow at all. How about a small child's dresser? You can paint it the colors you'd like. When we lived in our other home, we had a foyer much like this and I used an old baby dresser that I'd painted and I would use it to store table linens, napkins, etc. I had display space on top and on the wall behind it.

joyh82 said...

The yellow with blue china sounds beautiful to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...