Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Box

Back before Thanksgiving I saw the most incredible centerpiece I'd ever laid eyes on at Far Above Rubies, and I knew I had to copy it.  If you didn't click the link, DO IT, it's gorgeous!  Interestingly enough, Anita copied hers from someone else, but personally I think she improved upon it.  I have not improved upon Anita's, but I still love mine and am continuing to tweak it.  Here is my Christmas version.  (Anita has a Christmas version too, here.)


I started with some wood which I gave to my dad with some vague instructions on Thanksgiving, and a week later he handed me this:


Perfect.  Thanks dad!  I sanded it a bit and stained it, put some pads on the bottom and then started playing around with filling it, which turned out to be challenging. While Anita used fresh greens and lots of candles, the majority of my greens are faux, with just a few real ones tucked in for variety, and a central candle.  I looked around a couple nurseries for fresh clippings and just didn't find what I wanted, so I pulled apart a couple of swags from Michaels and did my best. I still may add a few candles.




I used natural elements like the pine cones but also added some glittery picks and ornaments for sparkle.  I found that the key to success was having a lot of greens with different textures and tones, making sure that some had a trailing effect, and then piling everything else in til it looked like too much, and taking just a little out.  I haven't taken time to set the table as I'm still painting the legs, but as you can barely see in my photos, I refinished the table top.  Hopefully the whole room reveal will happen before next Christmas.



Have a great week!  I am linking up to Metamorphosis Monday and The Sunday Showcase.

31 comments:

Mel said...

What a beautiful centerpiece. I wouldn't have known that it was ALL real greenery if you didn't say so. Love the metallic in the picks.
The table top is spectacular, wow!

rachel@Acts of Life said...

So pretty! You have a beautiful dinning room and your centerpiece looks great.

Happy Holidays,
Rachel

Michelle said...

You did a beautiful job. I wouldn't mind making one. But my animals would make a meal out of it.LOL

Robin said...

You will have so much fun filling that box for different occasions. I really like the way you mixed up your greens. I think that's what I've been missing in mine. Your dining room looks very pretty and I love the sparkle!

Robin
Robin Flies South

Unknown said...

Your box looks great, I love the natural feel.

Karen said...

You did a beautiful job! I saw Anita's post and thought it was beautiful too. I wish that I had someone to build me one of those wonderful boxes. You're a lucky lady. Your home is beautiful. Thanks so much for visiting.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love all the natural elements. It's beautiful, and a great statement piece.

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful home and that centerpiece looks AMAZING!!! I would love if you linked to http://www.eyeheart.ca/2011/12/anything-goes-at-eye-heart-5.html

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Your centerpiece is beautiful! Your dining room looks amazing too!

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

Beautifully done! LOVE the mix of evergreens with your pinecones!

xo Lynda

akawest said...

Gorgeous! The wooden box will lend itself to a ton of centerpieces. You are amazing, so I figure we will be treated to many different looks.

Designing Domesticity said...

Wow, simply gorgeous. Love it! And so cross-seasonal, you'll be using this all year long. The options are endless! Thanks for sharing, liz

Jani said...

Thanks for the blog love! Adore this idea for a perpetually-rotating centerpiece. Love yours!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your mantle display and centerpiece is lovely. It speaks of home and the holidays. I really enjoy my visits to your blog and always leave with an idea or two that I can use. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I love the box. And you are going to have so much fun filling that full of seasonal goodies year-round. It's beauiful with the Winter touches.

Anonymous said...

Your centerpiece is classic, elegant and beautfiul! The natural elements and the color scheme are so lovely. How sweet of your Dad to make the box.

Sharon

Tardevil said...

It turned out great! You and your dad did a nice job!

Steph said...

That looks so pretty, Mom! It was worth sharing a backseat with the wood. :)

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Ack! Super fabulous!!

Anita Diaz said...

Tracy, oh my goodness, I love your box!!! I love seeing what you did with yours, which gives me more ideas about my own box! It looks so lush and full, and the faux greens look real. It is just gorgeous and I'm so happy that you were inspired. Beautiful!!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I'd say you're pretty expert at this! I didn't guess there was anything faux about it. Simply gorgeous. Just like your whole room. I love how crisp and light it is. Merry Christmas!

Harriet said...

I love the box arrangement.It Beautiful.Your house is lovely.

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is beautiful! i am visiting from under the table and dreaming and love all your posts in the sidebar as well- nice to meet you! happy new follower!

LifeLessOrdinary said...

Beautiful! I may copy you next year :) Visiting from UNDER THE TABLE AND DREAMING and a new follower.

Lookiewhatidid said...

I'm in love with this centerpiece so excuse me if I pin it and copy you next year...lovely....Merry Christmas

Deidre~ said...

This makes a stunning centerpiece! I love what you did and I also LOVE your blog! Im quite a newbie and youve inspired me so much thanks,Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

Just beautiful! I like that you used some faux branches because the real ones dry out so quickly. The mix of greens makes them look very real!

shadowhaswings said...

This is beautiful! I have so many idea's where I could put the box.... now to find one or ask my husband if he could make me one! Thank you!

Jann said...

This is absolutely perfect...you can change it out from whim to whim...season to season...LOVE your blog and you attention to details....it's like meeting a new friend....:o) Hugs from Idaho.

One More Time Events said...

Beautiful...you have given me inspiration....I have two antique sewing drawers and they will be perfect for dining room table as a center piece...thanks for the inspiration!

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Stunning. The whole room and the feel. Love it. I am pinning my way through your blog!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...