Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Pine Hutch

Another piece from my fab friend Donna, this pine hutch was slightly scratched and dented when it came to me several months ago.  I loved the windowpane doors, the top molding and the size of it.  I thought it would look great white....


So I sanded and filled and sanded some more, primed, primed, primed and painted and painted.... but the paint just scratched right off.  This was the orneriest varnish I've ever seen.  So I stripped off the peeling paint....




And sanded it even more, until the wood was totally nude.  Actually, the whole thing is probably about an inch smaller from how much I sanded it.  (Fool me once, and all that.) This time I stained the top surfaces for contrast, painted the body white again, and wiped a glaze over the white paint.  A neighbor put a huge bathroom mirror out at the dumpster and my alert daughters dragged it into the house for me (they know me well).  I measured it and drove it to the glass shop, where a $4 cut made it fit in behind the shelves, adding some reflected light to my foyer.  I did all the work to this right in my foyer since it was so big, but ultimately that proved to be less than smart since I somehow got gooey stripped paint on my shoe, tracked it all over the floor and had to get down on all fours to scrape it up with a putty knife.  Lesson learned.  (Maybe.)  Then it sat for a month before I finished the doors.  I am easily distracted and had several other projects in the works.


I added some neighborhood-kid-friendly Halloween decor and have it all stocked up with candy underneath for my little trick or treaters.  Not super-chic and trendy, but that can wait til after Halloween. A couple days ago I finally put the doors back on, so this one is DONE.  I think.


I'm thinking this piece does not really suit its surroundings, so I will have to repaint the foyer.  I'm looking at vinyl wood-look plank flooring to replace my builder linoleum, and I'm on the lookout for some cool decor to put inside it post-Halloween.  So, basically redecorating around it, I guess.  Or maybe just painting it white all over again.


What would you do?

Linking up to Feathered Nest Friday
 Show & Tell Friday
Furniture Friday
Potpourri Friday
Trash to Treasure

18 comments:

Late Bloomers said...

I like it and I like the dark counter... adds lots of interest. I've done a few hutches with 'naked' counters now.

Revi said...

I like it just the way it is, and I applaud your persistence! Redoing something is not as fun as doing it the first time. That was a lot of work for you! Kudos! :)
First time visitor,
-Revi

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fantastic! Love the addition of the mirror. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Honey at 2805 said...

Your hutch is fabulous!
I would be delighted for you to link to Potpourri Friday!

Pamela said...

What a great transformation! Looks beautiful!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Looks great--love the halloween decorating!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks great! You did an awesome job! I love the addition of the mirrors!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love, love, love this! Fantastic job on making her pretty!! Visiting from French Country Cottage. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/10/chest.html

Deborah March said...

What a BEAUTIFUL re-do, just LOVE the white and the dark together!

Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you can drop by and say hi!)

Mel said...

Wow Tracy, it looks like a completely different piece now!

I know it was a lot of work, but was well worth all of your effort.

Deana said...

beautiful! I'd love it if you linked this up to my blog party From Trash to Tresure!!

Cecile K said...

That looks so great! Good job... and thanks for posting it!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Found you from 2805 Potpourri Friday - great refinishing job (and what a job). My favorite mess is always tracking the paint on the bottom of my shoes, especially oil based paint. Sigh. I use my kitchen for cold weather painting and my dark cork floor has a lot of white lines, dots, marks (all paint that will NOT come off). Cork does come off if it is scraped with a knife. I am going to follow you and then start reading your older posts.
- Joy

Elegant Economies said...

What a great job! Turned out beautiful!
Persistence does pay off. Audrey

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh goodness that sounds like a lot of work! I guess it is like childbirth, we kind of forget all the work when we are done, it is a wonderful piece, I love it white. Thank you so much for your sweet congrats, I really appreciate it!

Carol

Miss Char said...

Great job, I love the finished product. At least all the extra work was worth it in the end. Thanks for sharing.

Honey at 2805 said...

Your finished product is terrific. I really like the addition of the mirror!

Thanks for sharing this lovely post at Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation!

Brandi said...

You did such a beautiful job! I have yet to tackle such a huge piece of furniture! I can imagine all the effort you put into it, but it was well worth it! Well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...