Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Great Junkin Finds at the Auction and Flea Market

This week my mom and I went to an auction.  I have been to many auctions, and my mom goes all the time, having been an antique dealer.  This was a small outdoor auction of mainly stuff you might see at a yard sale or in a dumpster, and a small selection of nicer stuff.  I spied this large picnic basket amidst the box lots soon after we arrived.  It was filled with smaller ugly baskets, most of which I threw out.  It was one of the most expensive things I bought, for about $13, and it's in great condition.  I'm thinking about whitewashing it for a soft romantic look, and staging it with some linens and plates.  It could also look great with a plaid wool blanket and an antique thermos.


 I got a big haul of glassware for almost nothing.  All these pieces cost me around $10 total.


Included is this little collection of lead crystal toothpick holders, a couple votives, a few shot glasses and some super-delicate juice glasses.


My favorite piece is this aqua butter dish.  Love the color.


 Not included in the $10 are these crystal chandy drops that I bought for $12 a lot.  There are 29 large drops and 73 smaller ones - 102 drops for $24.  Now I am on the lookout for a big chandelier to bling up with my crystals.  


The day after the auction we went to the flea market.  More junk!  I bought an extremely ornate picture frame for $15.  The frame has a piece of plywood backing all ready to be turned into a chalkboard.  I am thinking about gold leafing it like Miss Mustard Seed did to hers.


I also got an ornate silver S&P set for $3, a pair of candlesticks for $5 and a beaded bag for $10.

One last thing, last weekend I picked up another gold mirror for $12.  The one in my living room had been intended for the bedroom but never made it up the steps.  Maybe this one will.  Maybe.


Actually, my mom remarked that I have way too many ideas for one house, and that I am going to have to open a shop.  Hmm.

Linking up to Beautiful Junk Saturday!

11 comments:

Peggy said...

What great finds! Love the frame & crystal drops especially. Thanks for coming by and checking out my lovely chair & good luck finding one of your own.

Blondie's Journal said...

You really did well, Tracy. I love your idea for a chalkboard for the frame, it's great that it came with the backing!! Love the candlesticks and glassware, too. These are all things I would have swooped up had I been there. The picnic basket is going to work for so many thing!! I know you had fun!! :-)

XO,
Jane

Mel said...

Really, all of that glass ware for $10! Yep, I'm thinking your mum is right :)

Thanks for linking to the party Tracy.

Late Bloomers said...

LOL I think that all the time, ' I either have to find a shop or add on to my house!'
I most recently thought this when I discovered some lovely wallpaper for $1 a roll which I bought with no actual room that I want to paper. A $25k addition to the house so I can use $6 worth of wallpaper? Why not!

Solongfar.blogspot.com

Shabby Marilyn said...

Hello, New follower, and yes we love all the treasures we find! You did find a lot of goodies, love the 102 drops, can't believe the price, so expensive here ane hard to find!

Melinda said...

I just love all the great treasures you found! especially love the candlesticks and the silver S&P set.

White Lacquer said...

Drooling over all your amazing loot! Glassware, candle sticks, ornate frame and mirror!!! Love!

Xx Patience

Erin said...

Wow!! You got some amazing stuff!!! I love it all...but I'm CRAZY over that ornate frame. It will make a great chalkboard, :)

soraya3 ღ said...

nice post thanks for sharing God bless you loves from holland..

Lisa @ akawest said...

The whole auction idea is intimidating to me. After seeing the amazing amount of goodies that you bought, I soooo want to get over my fear.

The cake stand is my fave, although the soon-to-be chalkboard is also cool. Wait, I really love the glasses...:)

You do need a store!

Unnati Aranya Apartments Noida said...

Very nice and intersting posting... .going good..
unnati the aranya
unnati the aranya
aranya sector-119 noida
aranya sector 119 noida
aranya apartments noida

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...