Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pretty Rustic Shelf

Last weekend I bought an old handmade shelf on Craigslist for $20.  I had a vision of what I wanted to do with it and somehow knew it was going to work.  I didn't even measure it, just said "I'll take it" and brought it home.


I painted it in Annie Sloan Pure White and rubbed it smooth.  Added some hooks, hung it on the wall, but then decorating it didn't work out the way I expected.  I was picturing something rustic and farmhouse-like, but the white coffee mugs I was going to hang on the hooks were too bulky so I swapped out some teacups that I got at auction years ago.  The teacups hung beautifully so I dug out the rest of the set.  This is every piece I have - 6 cups, 5 saucers, 8 dessert plates, a sugar and creamer, and it fills the shelf nicely, with a pop of color from the little aqua butter dish I picked up at an auction last fall.  This looks so pretty against my new paint. 



Destiny takes a hand.  MFEO (made for each other).  Do you remember that movie - Sleepless in Seattle?  Here is the spot where this little shelf found a home, with an inch to spare on either side.


Doesn't get much more perfect than that.  Linking up to Show and Tell Friday.

10 comments:

Little Penpen said...

So pretty, Tracy! The blue butter dish really makes it all pop! We are going to an antique show this weekend and I am hoping to find something cool for a wall in my living room!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a great deal and an even better transformation. Your pretty dishes are perfect and so is the size. Love the color of your wall too:-) Found you over at My Romantic Home. Thanks for sharing.

Mel said...

it's a great shelf. What a perfect fit.

Dream Mom said...

Great makeover! I love the white shelf and all of your pretty china. Very ladylike and so lovely!

Jay said...

What a lovely display... on a lovely shelf. Well done!

Rachael said...

I love that film (and I'm really not normally a chic flic kinda gal). It looks fantastic, I really do admire your style, it looks so effortless yet calming and chic (yet still homely). Just gorgeous.Rx

http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You are right, it does not get more perfect than that! I have seen that china pattern before and I love it!! I know I have told you before, but I have to tell you again I love the color of your kitchen.

Carol

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I love dishes, and I love that little shelf. It does seem like it was made for that little space. I know it makes you smile to see it every day.

Connie said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog and I'm so happy that I did. I love your little shelf and those dishes are so very charming. I enjoy hearing about people buying a house and turning it into their little heaven on earth. My husband and I just finished the last payment on our home 2 years ago. It was our goal to have it paid for before we retired. I retired a year ago last March and Steve is planning on working another 6 years. Through the years we have made many improvements, one by one as we could afford. Our home is a small 3 bedroom, bath and 1/2 1950's ranch and to us it is wonderful. As the years roll by your home will become so much a part of who you are . . . have fun, I'm so happy for you. Your newest follower, Connie :) Please accept my warm invitation to visit and hopefully to follow me, too. I'm a retired wife, mother and grandmother, who enjoys each and everyday the good Lord blesses me with. I wear many hats: artist, musician and singer, paper crafter, furniture re-purposer, traveler, etc. Hope to hear from you and become blogging friends.

Unknown said...

A perfect fit, and it looks gorgeous! Thanks for your visit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...