Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Little Kale that Could

I got a flowering kale plant in late September, squeezed it into a basket that was about an inch too small and set it outside with my pumpkins on top of a hay bale by the front door. From then on, I basically ignored its needs. It didn't seem to mind too much when I forgot to water it for days on end while it baked in its little basket of dirt. The weekend after Thanksgiving I finally threw out the hay bale and pumpkins, and the little kale plant was still looking like new. Unwilling to throw it out, I dug a hole not quite deep enough in the very hard dirt by the gas meter and plopped it in there. It's had a few inches of snow on it, and it's endured temperatures in the teens for days on end, and look at it:


I'm beginning to suspect it's plastic. Just kidding, it's very real and I sure got my $3 worth out of it! Happy Outdoor Wednesday!



7 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Kale can be so pretty and hardy...this one wants to be yours forever!!

XO,
Jane

Maryrose said...

Your post made me laugh....love your humor. I agree with Jane, it must really love you.
Hugs
Maryrose

LV said...

All it needed was just little tender care and love.

Anonymous said...

I love these and used to plant them each fall when we lived in a colder climate!! They are so pretty.
Happy New Year!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Light and Voices said...

ROFL...."The Little Kale that Could" What a cute title.
Joyce M

Donnie said...

What a fun post. The landscapers around the park have planted a lot of Ornamental Kale too and it's lovely.

Linda said...

I notice that kale is getting very popular in these parts too...very pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...